Saturday, October 12, 2013

When we walk away... (A reflection)

I think it's fair to say that we all want to have a good time. Not necessarily indulging in any bad behavior(s), but we want to enjoy ourselves with those whom we spend time. However, we must keep inventory of the lengths we are willing to go to enjoy ourselves. I have to be honest; the older I get, the more I cherish my personal time alone ...This could probably be attributed to the fact that I'm making up for the time when I was force to be around people while I was internally crying out for solitude. . .

Nevertheless, we often focus on having fun, but as of late, my focus has shifted to how I feel when we go our separate ways. Maybe I'm the only one, but have you ever had a blast with someone, not doing anything bad, but when it was over you just didn't feel good? It's made me more mindful of the company I keep. Not to say that people have bad motives, but I must survey what fruit is being born from our association? Am I growing? Am I being challenged? Who's being inspired? I mean, fun is fun ... but at the end of the day, I'm needing something a lil' bit more substantial than a rigamarole of social pow-wows.

Then the scripture hit me, "...we wrestle NOT against flesh and blood, but against PRINCIPALITIES, against POWERS ... against SPIRITUAL wickedness in high places." I then realized that certain environments we take ourselves into, though we may not do any physically bad acts, SOMETHING is being extracted, be it good or bad. Has an ugly disposition crept into your back pocket while you were on a 'scene' that was probably not beneficial to you? Or perhaps you broke bread with someone who could really care less about you, but just needed something to do. Could it even be that people are using you to get information about others to carry out their vindictive agendas??? Either way, know that it's not necessary about how much we're enjoying ourselves, but how do you feel when you walk away??? [Selah]

No comments:

Post a Comment