Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Ignorance or Racism???

I figured that I was pressing my luck as the sign on the door clearly said we do not accept $100 bills. So when I was gently turned away by the seemingly pleasant older lady, I didn’t think twice. It was only after I went to my vehicle and got a few bucks from my best bud Roxanne, that I returned back to the gas station and to my chagrin...The same lady who told me that they did not have change for $100, was divvying out change for a hundred to a lady of her same race who entered the store as I was leaving. But here’s the shocker, when I got to the counter, I shot her a look that said “are you serious?” She replied with a little smirk on her face as to say, “Yeah I did it, and what you gonna do about it?” The evil in me came to surface, instantly! My nose and eyes were easily 300 degrees farenheit. Fortunately, the Christian in me which keeps me from telling folks how the hog ate the cabbage, stepped in--sparing the old lady from being read from here to El Paso. I smiled, and even rendered the ‘ole prune pit a good “God bless you,” and proceeded back to my car. This happened on Saturday and today I’m still wondering would this be an example of racism? Or is it just ignorance? I know that MANY times the word racism is used out of context, but this was just one situation I could not distinguish the difference between the two…..

1 comment: