Tuesday, June 9, 2009

My beautiful Mess! (A Life Lesson)

So, this past Sunday, I was up and at 'em in the kitchen! For years now, I have been the designated macaroni & cheese maker for my fam, so when I come home it's a certainty that I will be brewing up a fresh pan of hot, cheesy carbs! Last Sunday when I made a pan, I knew I was a little short on cheese. I don't know why, but for some reason my dad always gets the wrong ingredients at the store. One would think after YEARS of buying the same stuff, He'd have it down pact by now! Soooooo not the case...Anyhoo, I made the macaroni and due to a shortage of shredded cheese, the milk rose to the top of the pan and kinda burned the macaroni. It looked soooooo bad! Even though the situation was honestly beyond my control, I was still embarassed; however, as everyone ate it they raved about how good it was. When I tasted it, I was shocked! It was honestly one of my best concoctions ever. The top layer, which I presumed to be burned wasn't actually burned, it was just overcooked to a very dark brown. It made the macaroni taste sooooooo good for some reason...Then a revelatory beam hit me in the face: Jason, what you presume to be not good enough, is more than sufficient for some. Those who know me can attest to the fact that I am very critical of myself and the things I do. I always strive for perfection, and when I fall short, I let it be known to the world. But this little pan of macaroni has really altered my perception. Sometimes, my mess is beautiful to somebody else! I have to keep in mind, that everything is not always about me and if someone else can get satisfaction from and be blessed by something that I write-off as "a mess," I'm going to let them! Perfection is nice when it is attained, but when it's not, is it really worth minimizing someone else's blessing, to appease my warped sense of perfectionism (vanity)????? I'm working on myself folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment